Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy little homemaker

Today I finally got to do my baking. Originally I wanted to try making tarts, but apparently I'm the only one in the house that likes them, haha. So after looking through a couple of my mom's cookbooks I decided on making focaccia. The Weight Watchers cookbook gives a standard recipe and three topping recipes to go along : potato and tomato, feta cheese, and onion and roasted red peppers. I decided to go with the onion and roasted red peppers since I know everyone likes onions and peppers in my house.

I don't have a link to the exact recipe, but when I look through the cookbook I'll copy and post the recipe here if anyone wants it. It was a little bit harder to make this because I've never worked with yeast or dough before. The first time we used the yeast it didn't foam like it was supposed to so I had to get rid of it and try it again. Thankfully my mom had a food processor, which makes the whole thing much easier. I had to wait for the yeast to foam. Put 2 cups and 2 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour, and a teaspoon of salt, in the food processor. Once the yeast was foamed I added it to the food processor and turned it on. After a short while the mixture turned into dough. I had to spray a large bowl and place the dough in it, cover loosely with plastic and leave it to rise for an hour.

After that I had to punch down the dough before rolling it into a ball. I sprayed a baking sheet and placed the dough down into a circle about 10inches wide. Again I covered it with plastic to let it rise for about 30 minutes. Then I had to cut up the onions and the red pepper and saute them for about 10 minutes. I set the oven to preheat at 425 degrees. Next I had to uncover the dough and put dimples in the dough and place the onions and peppers on top. I placed it in the oven for about 20 minutes and then served it at room temperature when it was done.

Top of the focaccia. Ignore my shadow.

Onions and roasted red peppers focaccia

I really enjoyed making this and it turned out pretty well. It tasted delicious to me and my family loved it. The only thing is that it's supposed to be a bit thinner, but I think I did ok for my first time. We served this at dinner along with sausage and peppers, which my mom made, and penne pasta and Brilla sauce, which I made. I'm pretty satisfied with my first try at making focaccia. I might try the potato and tomato one next time I decided to make focaccia.

2 comments:

  1. So in one of my classes this girl made foccacia to share but she kept calling it fa-got. And I was like oh we make that where I work - it's pronounced foccacia but she insisted it was called fa-got. Then my professor was like I think its called foccacia, but she was still all about calling it fa-got. Also, most of the pizza recipes I did last year were originally foccacia recipes.

    ReplyDelete